Living in Rest (Note To Self)

God's love is present, even when you don't feel it. God's timing is perfect, His grace relentless. Even during times when we see resistance and setbacks happening all around us, the truth remains that breakthroughs have already been birthed, the first (and best) being the finished work of Jesus Christ. 

It may come in the form of finances. It may come in the form of revelations, thoughts and ideas regarding an issue or a situation, thought and ideas that never occurred to you before. The breakthroughs may also come in forms of wake-up calls, stirring in your spirit and mind for you to act. God is faithful to His word. Truly, because of Christ's finished work we can see more and more of the Father's words (communicated to us through His Spirit in ways so personal to each and every one of us) coming to life, especially during these days. 

Philippians 2:13 declares that it is God who works in us both to will and to do for His good pleasure. I saw this as truth whenever we would be faced with challenges and issues that would last for a day. 

Unfortunately, that's how far it went. When it came to long-term planning and goal setting, my thoughts would be short-sighted - or I would respond with intimidation. This was the case when marriage came into mind. 

To cut a long story short, I was reminded to stand up. Or, in Ilokano, 'Tumakder ka', a 'Manong' (elder brother) told me, plain and simple. As I was explaining this to Paola, I was reminded to stand - To stand as a man, the son of my father and mother. To stand as a man, brother to my elder brothers whose example I will cherish and praise God for forever. To stand as a man, partner, fiance to my future wife, Paola. To stand as a man, the man of the house, where my mother and our loyal cousin live as well. 

To live in comfort is no longer an option. Take some time to realize that this thought does not just birth out (especially in my case). No, I believe that our Lord, forever Faithful and True, had me in His loving arms before and during the time I realized how exciting (read: ACTIVE) life is in Christ. 

This sort of feeling was something I was seeking to build and develop for myself before I turned 30. I was way off. The moment I thought I had to figure it all out for myself was the moment I set things in motion for me to eventually be directly (and pleasurably) humbled, and I would effectively learn that change kicks off when we wait on the Lord. Whom the Lord loves, indeed, He chastens. And even when He chastens, there is so much reason to rest in His presence and in the finished work of Christ. 

Because of Christ's finished work - because of His death, resurrection, and ascension - we are at rest, even if we do work. 

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow. 
Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria. 

*Let me clarify something. To live in comfort is different from living at rest. My definition of comfort in this matter is laziness, or a false feeling of contentment brought about by something lower than Christ. Living at rest is living knowing that it is only because of Christ's finished work that we have peace, i.e. assurance of His love no matter what happens to us. Romans 8:39 states that nothing can ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. 

Living at rest is living without fear or insecurity. Living at rest is living knowing that (1) Christ has covered our past, (2) because of His finished work, our Father is working with, in, and through us in our present, and (3) Christ has secured our future.

Again,  

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow. 
Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria. 
*

_________________________
email me at jibee@rocketmail.com


May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you His Shalom. - Numbers 6:24-26