The Shield

"Therefore, my beloved brothers, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. For the wrath of man does not work out the righteousness of God. Therefore putting aside all filthiness and overflowing of evil, receive in meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls."

- James 1:19-21

Patience is truly a virtue. Take note that patience is not only kind to other people, but to yourself as well. As much as you would like to see the fruits of your labor as soon as you think the labor is done, it is patience which helps you to endure while things take their natural course - rather, while things happen in God's time.


Lately, I've been putting myself off on things that I should be doing at work, simply because I do not see these fruits of my labor. I am still a child when it comes to controlling my tongue in these sorts of manners, and I suppose this is where I start working on myself. I keep telling myself to do one thing at a time, never leaving or shifting to another goal until one is done.


It's easy to be sidetracked, especially if you have 4 different people above you telling you their goals. You do as much as you can to fit their demands, as you should with every authority placed above you by God... but somehow I notice that though what they assign to me is accomplished, I neglect my own workload, my own responsibilities. These jobs that are left undone are thorns on my side that I wish could just vanish... though the longer they are left unaddressed, the more I beat on myself. I'm good at that. Too good.


I just pray to God for the strength to compose myself, the wisdom to determine what must be done first, and the skill to leave no flaws as I keep working. Time Management has never been my forte, but I just pray that I learn it fast, because God knows how much I need it now.


I've been thinking selfishly, I've been cursing more lately. I translate the lack of cooperation that I see from people I ask help from as a fault in my part, perhaps in my delivery or my overall attitude. As there is lesser oxygen as you reach the top of a mountain, there is more pressure to deal with, and you simply could not function as much as you could when you were in a lower area.


As I was looking for a particular verse in the book of James, I found this in the same chapter:


"But the wisdom that is from above is first truly pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy."

- James 3:17


I interpret that beautiful definition of wisdom as patience in faith. Patience to deal with anyone complaining, empathizing and picking them up but taking care not to be influenced at the same time. Patience to be merciful enough to keep silent and lift everything up to the Lord when someone makes a decision which results in something that you do not expect. Patience to resist temptation and to keep away from sin by standing on the promise that the Lord has so much more for you, beyond what you think brings you pleasure.


It's faith that drives that patience. It's faith that keeps us enduring, keeping the faith, running the race, fighting the good fight. It's faith that reminds us that God is in control, and it's faith that keeps us going wherever we are, be it high or low.


"But whoever looks into the perfect Law of liberty and continues in it, he is not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work. This one shall be blessed in his doing."

- James 1:25


I gotta keep at it. God's strength is made perfect in my weakness. May God bless us all.