Poppy Seed Bread
submitted by reader Marsha Baker of Pioneer, OH
Original Link Here
For the Bread
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1¾ cups sugar
1½ cups milk
1½ teaspoons almond extract
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons poppy seeds
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons salt
For the Glaze
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or four 4 x 2-inch mini loaf pans.
2. To prepare the bread, combine the oil and the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until well blended and fluffy. Add the sugar; mix well. Stir in the remaining bread ingredients until just blended. The batter will be very thin.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake the large loaves for 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake the small loaves for 30 minutes.
4. To prepare the glaze, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
5. Remove the bread from the oven and immediately poke holes in the top with a wooden pick or fork. Pour the glaze evenly over each loaf. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely. Serves 20 to 24.