Below Up Above

Since my brothers left to join what's known as the finest fighting force in the free world, we haven't been talking to each other as a family that much. Sure, there was text, voice, email & chat, but the fact that these means of communication don't even come close to a good old face to face conversation leaves us less motivated to even try reaching out. One thing that was quite rampant in our family is procrastination, & last night, my mother took the initiative to apologize, & more importantly to pray declaring that this behavior would stop in our family.


Since my brothers left to join what's known as the finest fighting force in the free world, we haven't been talking to each other as a family that much. Last night was different. We were all huddled up in the living room of my brother's condo, reconciling with one another. Besides procrastination, we all touched base on temper, & we all made it clear to one another that losing it has to stop.


An example of what I mean in temper traces to many many years ago, before my brothers left to join what's known as the finest fighting force in the free world. See, being part of a family of 5 meant that we had to fight for the right seat in the back of the car every time we travelled. Man, now that I remember how shallow we were, I couldn't help but give out a good chuckle. I remember getting so pissed if I was in the left (or worse, the middle) seat in the back of the car. And there wasn't really anything special about the right seat.


It's actually quite pleasant to think back to those sorts of situations. I mean, when you think of what irks you back then, & compare it to how at peace you are right now, you have yet another reason to praise God. My brothers probably knew more than I did, how I lost my temper at the simplest things when I was a kid. Now, after they've been in what's known as the finest fighting force in the free world, things have happened to them, things have happened to me, & self control is now one significant fruit God has developed in my life.


But here I am, in seat 7b of Frontier Flight 560 to Denver. My brother is in the aisle seat, giving him better access to the lavatory () & the complimentary drinks. There's this dude who seems Chinese in the window seat, with a Shoot-worthy vantage point complete with clouds & amazing scenery. I am in seat 7b, in between these two fine seats.


I must confess that I feel quite frustrated right now. However, I am also reminded of some beautiful words that my dad gave me as a result of our family talk last night:


'Never stop learning'.


At the time I honestly did not realize the value of his words. Right now, I would like to think that I've learned a little bit more on how to shoot without looking at the viewfinder. More importantly, I've learned to never stop learning when it came to self control. True, I'm content with sitting anywhere in the car, but it seems as if I was placed in the wrong place on a plance, photography wise, to test this even more. Earlier, I was reminded by my dad to never stop learning. Now, God did the same thing, 5000+ feet above the ground. Once again, I am humbled. Praise God.

I know it looks like an overanalyzed situation, but this is how I'm diverting my energies instead of reaching out like an idiot, holding the camera in front of this Chinese dude's face. I cringed every time the shutter was pressed. The dramatic, sudden grab of the wrist that you see in so many Kung-fu movies, and that I expected, never came.





Speaking of shots, the pictures accompanying this blog were some I took. Don't mind the 'vignettes' - those airplane windows are small (#@&*^%$#!).

Lately I've been making it a habit to place a verse on each blog. I felt a bit better than usual as I found this tidbit on Biblegateway:

"I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws."

- Psalm 119:7


A small reminder, said by a servant of the Commander-In-Chief of the finest fighting force over... everything.


Consider starting or strengthening your relationship with Christ. Take some time to talk to Him. Admit that you have sinned, and let Him come in to your heart. I'm not saying life as you see it will be better, but I assure you, the peace to be felt is nothing short of PERFECT. You have nothing to lose by just asking. God bless you with wisdom.