The Bright Side

'Look Into My Father's Eyes'


...So tomorrow, I'm being asked to handle a good group of young students aged approximately between 12-25 years old. I have them for 2 sessions, each lasting 3 hours, where I will discuss Basic Photography with them. 

By God's grace I have competencies and skills developed over years of practicing photography, but I just have to say, right now I don't know where to start with these kids. 

Part of me was thinking that I should tell them a few things regarding photography - that it isn't all about selfies. That Photography is a skill, and like any other skill that there is, it is developed through practice and experience. That Photography is a tool, and like all tools, is used best to accomplish particular goals. 

Photography is a tool in itself, but it does require its own tools. But I dare say that anyone can do photography. You don't have to have a camera to do photography. If you walk down a lane, and see a sight you appreciate, you've already done photography. 

I've had to go through the etymology of Photography, and consequently its definition, right after I said that last statement. I'll stick with it. If an image plays in your head, if you've recalled a memory, then  you've done photography. By definition photography is "the art and the technology of producing images on photosensitive surfaces." 

And if you generated an image from a previous event in the photosensitive surface of your mind, then you've done photography. Sure, you couldn't literally print it out of your body (yet?) but in essence, an image can be produced, and now it could be expressed through other means, through other photosensitive surfaces. 

That being said, yes, you need something to do photography. You need life. And there is no life besides Christ. 

My Lord, I never thought I'd connect this to Jesus this soon. The Word in the first chapter of Romans clearly states that God's glory is seen in all His creation. For you to see this glory, for you to have an image of His glory seen in all creation, you need life - and again, there is no life outside of Christ. He came not only to give us life, but life abundant. 

So you may not have the camera you think you want, but know that you can already practice photography now. 

It starts with appreciation. Of small things and big things. Of bright things and dark things. It starts with the appreciation of black and white. Color and no color. Hot and cold. Life and death. Humanity and inhumanity. It starts with appreciation, a mindset that states that despite all we see and perceive, there is always something to appreciate because we are in Christ. 

Photography literally means "drawing with light". In Christ is light, and this light is the life of men. When we see Christ in every situation and in every circumstance, I believe the good and great images follow - whether they be in film or digital. 

Halleluyah. 


_________________________
email me at jibee@rocketmail.com


May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you His Shalom. - Numbers 6:24-26