Another Reason To Read

040311

It's certainly been a while since I spent a part of my Sunday afternoon here in ionic. I remember coming here to enjoy a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper. A distinct difference between then and now is that I drink my coffee black, and I don't have a pack of Marlboro reds with me.

It's been a bit more than 3 years since I kicked the habit, but it's funny that I still am tempted every now and then to light a cigarette. There was a time last March 2009 that I actually gave in - it was the Brent School centennial celebration, and I took a few puffs while a childhood buddies and I reminisced over at the playground. Let me tell you, the temptation to start the habit again came on really strong almost immediately after that. I thank God because He just doesn't allow us to be tempted and tried more than we can handle.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No trial has overtaken you that is not faced by others. And God is faithful: He will not let you be tried beyond what you are able to bear, but with the trial will also provide a way out so that you may be able to endure it.

As long as we live, we will always be tempted. Without Christ it is impossible for us to handle the temptation that comes our way in a truly Godly manner.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin.

Jesus has heard it all, but He never gave in. One thing that we can learn from His encounter with the devil in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11) is that He answered every temptation presented to Him by saying 'it is written...'

As believers, and as followers of Christ, we need to know more about the Word. When we are tempted and tried, it is the one sure defense that we can run to for victory.

Take the courage to start the habit to read the Bible every day. Pray that the Holy Spirit would guide you as you get to know God more and more. This is one of the best ways we can make use of our time, while we have time.

To God be all the glory. God bless you.