I Didn't Catch Her Name

Fortune, or the desire for it, was part of what brought us back to the same Pinoy supermarket where I met Paul. I was surprised to see that he wasn't in his usual spot, but I quickly dismissed this shock with relief - He may have been okay with the earnings he had for that day, and his absence brought in closure to this whole learning experience.


However, one of the more beautiful things to thank God for would be how He just takes you by surprise. As we stepped up to the walk leading to the supermarket's entrance, I noticed a tall, middle aged white woman who was quite decently dressed. She also happened to be holding a paper bag and a styrofoam cup, greeting people with, "Spare some change?"


For some reason we all passed her. Even my mom, who has an even softer heart for these sorts of people, passed her by.


So there we were. My dad was buying phone cards (and more Scratch-and-Win tickets), and I was with my brother and his family, walking around, telling my sister-in-law what otap, broas, and all that other good stuff was. Between explanations, I caught myself thinking - Man, it seems like every time I go here, my conscience gets tested. I approached Paul, sure, but how can I approach this lady? Should I take her picture? Should I get her name too?


We were approaching the counter once during one of our rounds around the supermarket when I happened to see my parents close to the vendo machine dishing out all those Scratch-and-Win tickets, scratching away. What I saw next surprised me. The lady, the one and the same lady who just minutes ago asked us for spare change, stuck a dollar into the same vendo machine.


It seemed like she lost. I didn't hear a hysterical scream of joy. But I got to thinking, if any of us gave her the spare change she wanted, it most likely would have ended up in that vendo machine.


As we walked back to the car, my mom voiced out that she noticed the same thing. Further discussion ended up in us saying that as God gives us the blessings to bless other people, He also helps us with discerning where the blessings should go. One man's trash may be another man's treasure, but God keeps the treasure that you give from becoming trash.


Thus we have yet another lesson, another reason to thank God. As you continue your walk with Him you find out that nothing happens by accident, if you seek God's kingdom in everything.


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

- Romans 8:28


Now isn't that something. God bless that lady.


Consider starting or strengthening your relationship with Christ. Take some time to talk to Him. Admit that you have sinned, and let Him come in to your heart. I'm not saying life as you see it will be better, but I assure you, the peace to be felt is nothing short of PERFECT. You have nothing to lose by just asking. God bless you with wisdom.


Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.