Memory Card

I was just going through pictures that my Dad took with his handy-dandy Canon Powershot. What I had in one folder here on my hard drive were shots he made during our trips to the States... then they were shots he took during events we had here in the Philippines... then they were shots taken not by him, but of him - shots taken with his camera, some during the last months of his life. 

In those last shots, it just shocked me to see my father so thin! I mean, at the time we were taking care of him, I didn't see much of a difference, but when I saw shots of him from at least 2009 down to September 2011 at the rate I was going, all I could think of was, man... cancer really wreaks havoc on the body!

I wouldn't want cancer to happen to anyone. My father died from complications arising from colon cancer. A few relatives of mine died of cancer in the years after that - in fact, I was with one family as we waited for the good Lord to take one of our aunts home.

But going back to my father, I just have to say, his passing was one event I consider when thinking about that one verse, Romans 8:28 - "God will cause all things to happen for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."

His passing was unfortunate, but I give God the glory, because fortunately, I believe my Dad is free and with Jesus Christ, as we are blessed with the opportunities and gains he left behind. There was so much I learned (and so much yet to learn) when I took the reins in taking care of what Dad used to devote his time to. Relationships in and out of the family were defined, enhanced, or given more clarity.

Now that I'm talking about my Dad, I want to share one more thing. My relationship with him wasn't exactly ideal. We weren't close, and though I blamed his actions, my observed condition of our relationship was, as I realize now, really more about my reactions. I thought this affected my relationship with God, because I thought, 'I never was close with my own Dad, so I don't think I'll ever know everything about my relationship with God.'

But I give Him glory, because God took what I felt, and by His grace He changed my whole worldview, my whole mindset on that matter - turns out, my relationship with God is not based on the relationship I had with dad, because it was established, authored by Jesus Christ, our Savior. This gives me hope in the sense that I look forward to seeing my dad again, to fellowship with him in God's presence, catching up and ultimately giving glory to our Heavenly Father. 

And on that day, I won't be seeing him anywhere near the condition he was in before September 16, 2011 - I will see him in Christ - a new creation, where the old things have passed away, and all things have become new. 

To God be the glory. 

_________________________
email me at jibee@rocketmail.com


May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you His Shalom. - Numbers 6:24-26