Sample 44 - Practice In Being Still

Big Bo Peep

Unplugged

Going Towards The Light

So I've upgraded from Blogger to Google+. That means that I can now upload pictures as big as 2048x2048 px without it counting against my free 1GB of storage space. I pray this is true.

In other news (Say it like Steve Carrell did in Bruce Almighty):

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've been helping a younger brother of mine by teaching him how to take pictures, landscapes in particular. Now I have a schoolmate of his approaching me to help her out in still life photography. They're submitting the best that they get for a competition.

I have close to no experience in what I think is 'Still-Life'. Fortunately, while I was contemplating on how to help this young lady out, I had my camera, 50mm prime fitted, and the afternoon light coming into our store (which happened to be filled with trinkets and doodads to be sold) looked encouraging.

I found out soon enough that though I had f1.8, 50mm on DX was pretty limiting for me, especially in that shot with the lamps. I could have been more on point with a 35mm.

One distinct difference I see personally between landscape photography and still-life photography is that it is absolutely easier to have almost complete control over every aspect in the latter. The photographer can compose to his or her exact preferences to be more precise in the message he wishes to communicate.

On a side note, I've also seen the Brenizer method used in still-life; see it here. It's fascinating how you can mix-and-match techniques and approaches in photography.

I admit that in the amount of time I'm given, I may be doing some spoonfeeding to both students mentioned. I pray that they take the time to actually read more and practice more (as I should) even after the competition.

God bless us all.

_________________________
jb.redeemed
email me at jibee@rocketmail.com

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you His Shalom. - Numbers 6:24-26