A Word for Work

If there's anything I learned this year, it's the value of the question, "Are you doing something?"


A good friend of mine taught me how to appreciate the value of doing one thing at a time, especially at work. We keep telling each other that at work, and it encourages us a good deal. Additionally, the client we serve is also in approval with the idea of concentrating on one area, and not moving anywhere else until the job is done.


The problem with this seemingly acceptable mentality is that not everyone else has that in mind. As you go up the ladder, and as you get more and more responsibilities with greater implications, I suppose it is inevitable that your mind attempts to adjust to the change as much as it could, simply by concentrating on greater things, dealing with them one at a time, leaving the more mundane and lower-level tasks to those who are 'down there', so to speak.


I've noticed that this privilege of directing tasks has been widely used and abused by many. Well, in my personal working life, I've noticed a few, but if they have you in their sights, trust me, you will do more than notice. Now I didn't necessarily start writing this to complain about it, but it just seems that the mention of the question 'Are you doing something?' tells me if a person needs more of the grace of God to deal with. If someone above me asks me that, it tells me that he or she respects the one thing that I am doing, and that he or she eventually may need help with the one thing that he or she has.


It took me time and a good deal of rest to actually organize this thought. Yes, in my line of work, it's pretty easy to be overwhelmed by all the responsibilities laid on you by countless people. Trust me, it doesn't help to be cynical, and it especially doesn't help to be selfish in the workplace. You actually fail the moment you start thinking about what you deserve.


As part of my efforts to integrate the Word of God in every single aspect of my life, I have resolved to really just check myself before I start thinking ill about the workplace, and this is my baseline:


"Servants, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. WHatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord CHrist. For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality.

Masters, treat your servants justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven."

- Colossians 3:22-25, 4:1


As I was growing up, I've always heard people older saying the phrase, "Do your best, and God will do the rest." I believe they were right in some ways... What do you think?


God bless you.