Stepping Stones

A Christian is nothing without faith. It is by faith that we believe that Jesus Christ served as a sacrifice for all of our sins. If we do not have faith in this fact, then we are nothing.


It doesn't stop there. James 2:26 states that "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." - This means that good works come out naturally as a result of our faith.


Recently I've also learned that this comes with a follow-up. I've always believed in that passage, but I failed to recognize that it also goes beyond good works - it also concerns bad works. In other words, I've been so focused on the good works that faith can produce, but I've never really recognized the fact that faith can also keep us from doing bad works as well.


And if we struggle against sinning, we should probably take strides to go back to the faith that we have. When we are tempted, we should run to our faith in the Lord who knows what would really give us the pleasure that we seek, which is apart from what we are tempted to do. It's all an act of patience against what the world and what we think would give us pleasure. Whenever we resist temptation, whenever we resist sin, we are ultimately declaring that we place more of our trust in the Lord.


'Trust in the Lord'; funny I mention that. I've been blessed with a beautiful piece of software available online for free. It's called e-Sword - "the Sword of the LORD (another term for the Word of God) with an electronic edge." What's nice about this program is that it kind of works like what we have in biblegateway - you can search for a word and it returns all verses with that word in it.


A couple of days or even weeks back I went ahead and searched the word 'trust'. If you recall, I was having issues with doubting the goodness in other people back then as a result of my own choice to be cynical. It does take a toll on your energy when you find yourself in a relationship, and I regret that choice more now than ever. So I searched through 'trust' through e-Sword, and I only found one out of the many verses to give me comfort:


"The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever puts his trust in Jehovah shall be safe. "

- Proverbs 29:25


To cut a long story short, I've learned from this verse that I can fret all day about what people can do to Pao, but I can also choose to place my complete trust in God, and consequently 'be safe' as it states.


After starting this article, I've seen why I went ahead and kept the rest of the verses I see here.


See, resisting temptation and resisting sin is an act of placing your trust in God. And here are some verses that would tell you what happens when you do place your trust in God.


Psa 18:30 As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of Jehovah is tried; He is a shield to all those who trust in Him.


Psa 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we trust in His holy name.


Psa 5:11 But let all who put their trust in You rejoice; let them always shout for joy, because You defend them. And let those who love Your name be joyful in You.


Psa 9:10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Jehovah, have not forsaken those who seek You.


Psa 115:9 O Israel, trust in Jehovah; He is their help and their shield.
Psa 115:10 O house of Aaron, trust in Jehovah; He is their help and their shield.
Psa 115:11 You who fear Jehovah, trust in Jehovah; He is their help and their shield.
Psa 115:12 Jehovah has been mindful of us; He will bless us; He will bless the house of Israel; He will bless the house of Aaron.


Isa 26:4 Trust in Jehovah forever; for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.


Nah 1:7 Jehovah is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him.


Trust in God. Have faith in God.


Have a great week ahead.