Disarmament

(Or, "A Prelude to Demonstration")




"A righteous man may have many troubles,

but the LORD delivers him from them all;"


- Psalm 34:19



Rest is a weapon. That's one line I've kept close to my heart; it's one thing I prioritize up there with food and water. However, I seem to be in a bind right now, a situation which is testing my patience.



For the past week or two I've been assigned to a schedule which has put my health under trial. It starts at 4am, which basically means that I would have to set the alarm to go off at around three. Notice that I mentioned that the alarm goes off at that time, but I don't necessarily jump out of bed right away, since I'm actually recognizing how these wee hours in the morning are known as 'unGodly' hours. During those times, I am half man, half bed; even a cold shower couldn't bring me up to the speed I need to put all of me into a job which demands exactly that, with each agent asking for assistance, with each agent pulling me to take their call since they claim their customer asked for a supervisor.



Rest is a weapon. That's especially true considering the job that I have. I feel a need to charge my batteries, or suffer the consequences - a failing health, and a resultant irritable, selfish attitude, to name a few. It is sought not for pleasure, but as a requirement.



As I've mentioned earlier, the job I have, the company I work for, demands nothing less than the best from all of us. I assume that a big part of this entails that we would have to take care of our bodies, to keep them in shape. But as I have mentioned, I am in a bind. An hour ago I was trying to sleep. I've been interrupted by constant noises outside, one of the worst sorts of noise, to be precise - metal banging against metal. Imagine the noise of a empty steel drum being dropped from 5 feet onto a cement floor, and you can relate to the noise I'd want you to understand. Imagine this noise blaring out between intervals ranging from 30 seconds to a few minutes.



I tend to lose control when I'm being deprived of sleep. A few bangs, and a few unnecessary curse words later, I decided to look out of the mirror to see where all that racket was coming from. I learned that the construction workers at the site just across the dorm dug through the road between us, and laid metal plates to cover the trench. The noise came from vehicles driving over these massive plate, creating massive noise.



What pisses me off even more about this is that those construction people are working on an open air 'pantry' of sorts- a project of the company I work for.



Isn't that just nice. The same company that wants the best from me is keeping me from sleeping.



Yet all this may go on, but God is still our God, even in our weakness... I praise Him more now than ever, for the hope I have in Him endures, even in the light of this circumstance. The deeper a problem gets, the more we should rejoice, since in the end the Lord would demonstrate his sovereignty over all things even more.



"The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles."

- Psalm 34:17




God bless us all.